Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Food, Glorious Food

This week has been filled with delightful delicacies that have filled my belly and warmed my soul.  I've been wanting to try a Hot Weenie since I landed here in Rhode Island and I was finally able to make it happen on Monday.  What's a Hot Weenie?  I know my mind initially had dirty thoughts about my spouse when I first heard of it, but it turns out it's just Little Rhodie's version of a chili dog.  Its dirt cheap fare that you can find quite easily, and if you ask for it "all the way," it means a veal weenie with meat sauce, mustard, onions, celery salt, and a side of vinegar.  The verdict?  Tasty!


I then tried Del's which is a frozen lemonade that you can also find EVERYWHERE in Rhode Island once the weather warms up.  I chose the cherry flavor and here I am trying it. 


The verdict?  Eh...  Just ok.  I kind of felt like I was raped since it was $2.40 for a 12 ounce cup that is a slightly thicker consistency than a Slurpee, but considerably more expensive, for a helluva lot less.  I can see why it would be really popular given the large number of beaches around here and the paucity of 7-11s.  Del's has your number Rhode Islanders, but since I'm a transplant and a tightwad, I can't see myself ordering this treat very often.

Another wonderful discovery I made this week?  Bagel shops.  I used to always have fresh bagels on hand when we lived in Salt Lake, but Idaho Falls doesn't have a bagel shop.  My kids always beg for them from the grocery store, but it just isn't the same, trust me on this one.  Here I am munching an everything bagel with house made veggie cream cheese.  DELICOUS:


Best treat of all this week?  Mussels.  Fresh mussels right from Cape Cod Mass!


I brought these babies home with some white wine and had myself a feast that I will repeat on Sunday with the second pound I bought.  Thank goodness I prepared them properly because these mussels were so fresh, they tasted like the ocean and were like little pillows of butter on the half shell.  I also used a half of another bagel I had purchased earlier to mop up some of my butter and wine sauce.  DIVINE!  I definitely couldn't find those buggers in Idaho Falls as fresh as I did today, if I could find them at all, which most of the time, I couldn't.

It's only been about 2.5 weeks since I arrived,  but I am loving you more and more every day Rhode Island.  Keep the food experiences coming and I'll be your loyal fan for a lifetime.

6 comments:

  1. Hardy's don't eat mussels. You can't hide your sins by covering them in wine sauce. I'm afraid we're going to have to vote you off the island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. of all the things I've been willing to put in my mouth, you take issue with mussels?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit, you drinking the fry sauce on a dare was pretty nasty... But, this is worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accept your judgement with pride

    ReplyDelete