Friday, April 8, 2016

One if by Land, Two if by Sea...

Since I have a notoriously bad sense of direction and am planning on flying home soon from the Boston airport, I decided that I should make a trial run on the train from Providence to Boston to make sure that I could make my flight on time.  

Given that I don't want to pay for parking while I'm gone, I had to use both a bus and a commuter rail to fully test my route.  The first thing I noticed today, is that the folks who use the bus tend to be expressive and loud African Americans and Hispanics, while folks that use the commuter trains are predominately white or Asian individuals who play with their phones and don't hardly make a peep. Both groups were wonderful to watch and they kept my attention for the 2 hours it took me to make each leg of my journey.

I've never been to Boston before but it's a beautiful city!  My brother in law wanted me to take a selfie with somebody in colonial dress.  I thought, "yeah right!  Like that's going to happen on a Friday afternoon!"  My western ignorance shone again because they were everywhere!  Check it out:


Once I landed, I decided to walk the Freedom Trail and got to check out the North Church where Paul Revere set his signal lanterns regarding the location of the British troops:

 
My dad happened to text me as I was standing in my tour of the North Church.  When he found out where I was, he lectured me for 10 minutes about how silly I was to be nervous for my move and how lucky I am to have this opportunity.  I get it dad!  It's lovely here!  And I do feel lucky!  Check out this view of the Boston harbor:


I then walked to the site of the Battle of Bunker Hill and could see a monument in the distance.  For a second I thought, "holy crap!  I can see the Washington Monument from here!"  Then I remembered what a directional idiot I was and that I was WAY too far away to be able to see DC.  It ended up being the very thing I was walking towards:  the Bunker Hill Monument...


I walked the 294 steps to the top which made my thighs wobbly for the rest of the day but it was worth it!  What a beautiful view!

Since I didn't want to get too skinny from all the exploring I did today, I found a delicious pastry shop which gave my lover a food boner when he saw my pic.  Yes, a food boner is totally real and this shop gave me one too!


I'm home now and feeling pretty good about how awesome it is that I'm brave enough to explore New England alone!  I'm also pretty stoked that I'm going to feel totally comfortable getting to Boston again when it's time to fly home for a visit.  Come to think of it, I'm also pretty excited to teach my lover and babies how to ride the T...






No comments:

Post a Comment