Saturday, April 23, 2016

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor...

I left home three weeks ago and in that time, I have logged nearly 5,000 miles of driving time.  I have enjoyed my new home thoroughly and wish only that my family will be able to join me soon.  Seeing as how I'm only about 3 hours away from the Statue of Liberty, I decided to hop in the car today and give her a little visit.  When I saw Lady Liberty up close for the first time, it was about 11 years ago, and they were only allowing you to look up her skirts from the pedestal.  This time, I was able to purchase a ticket to go into her crown and I was stoked!

Although it was quite a rainy day at the start of my journey, the weather cooperated by about noon and as such, 2 million other idiots had the same travel plans I did!  If you think I'm mistaken about the number of folks on the rock with me, you may be right; it was probably closer to 3 million!  Even though I struggle with crowds sometimes, I do appreciate the wonderful opportunity for people watching that masses afford me.  My first treat?  Watching a 2 year old poop her drawers while I waited to catch the first ferry to Ellis Island.  She had interesting form in that she spread her legs, stood on her tiptoes, and squatted into the dump.  I've had five babies and I'm an expert on bowel movements.  Her mother, however, seemed genuinely shocked that there was poop in her kid's pants.  I wanted to tell her I thought she was an amateur and should hand that cute baby over to someone who would love her properly.  Then I remembered that rotten kid had poop in her pants so I held my tongue.

My next treat happened once I headed over to Liberty Island.  There happened to be this gorgeous shirt with a black hole on it.  Check it:


The black hole was being worn by a dude and that dude had a buddy.  The buddy sat next to me and then told the dude with the shirt to stand since he got the last seat first.  I slid over so mister black hole could squeeze in next to me.  I don't know what his buddy's problem was, but he obviously didn't appreciate the shirt.  What does a person look like that would be walking around in a black hole shirt?


Yep.  That's exactly what I expected him to look like too.

Finally I got to climb up Lady Liberty's skirts.  She's quite a gal and even though I've only seen her twice, I can't imagine that she would ever get old for me.  What a sight!


Just to prove I made it up and back down the slightly hair raising staircase to the crown, here I am out of breath at the top:


And me looking down on a few of the 2 million idiots below me:


And finally, my view out of the crown.  Beauty!


We won't talk about the freak out I had on the way home when the first 15 miles of my journey took 2 hours because of traffic and how my lover had to calm me down and how I further freaked when I found out the George Washington Bridge costs 15 bucks to cross...  Let's just say I married above me and that my first 5,000 miles away from home have been pretty great!

1 comment:

  1. People in Rhode Island don't just "go to NYC because its only 3 hours away" you go to NYC because your taking a week long trip... I'm glad your exploring and having fun!

    ReplyDelete