Saturday, April 1, 2017

April Fools

One year ago today, I kissed and hugged my sexy lover in the early morning darkness on my driveway in Idaho and set off alone for greener pastures in Rhode Island.  The day before, I took this selfie as I left my old job for the last time:


I had no idea as I walked out that door for the last time what an incredibly difficult and yet truly wonderful year lay before me.  I couldn't have dreamed just how many interesting people, things, and foods I would experience this year.  I also certainly didn't understand just how strong and resilient I really am, nor just how strong my children could be for that matter.  It took stepping out into the wide world and taking one day at a time to realize just how brave and awesome my kids, Jared, and I really can be when the chips are down.  Although there were many days that I wanted to give up and run home, endless kind words from friends and family helped me through my darkest moments and before I knew it, 365 days had passed.  I'm now on the other end and not only am I still alive, I'm thriving, and can admit that I love Rhode Island and am glad that I moved.  Besides my own efforts to mark this big day, I've had a few people independently comment on my anniversary as well.  Jared remembers kissing me and then watching my frost covered back car window recede into the darkness as he stood on the driveway to see me off.  I guess I could ask him how it made him feel to see me go, but he has only two emotions:

1.  Awake
2.  Asleep

Therefore, his ruminations are usually pretty worthless if you want some sort of meaningful discussion about anything relating to the deep musings of your soul.

My friend Alyssa also was thinking of my accomplishment.  She sent me this snap of her Facebook memories: 


I'd also like to include part of the goodbye card she gave me a year ago:


Yep.  Amazing isn't it?  And she's actually one of the classier people I know.

So what did I do besides wax poetic to commemorate my exodus to the East?  Well, I had a bunch of mundane responsibilities to attend to, but I did manage to explore three antique shops while drinking over 100 ounces of Diet Dr. Pepper.  It was glorious.  I even accidentally stumbled into this Christian thrift store that was blasting Christian rock over the loud speakers.


It made my day but Yelp was wrong.  It most certainly was NOT an antique or vintage store.  Oh well, if I've learned anything this year it's that you can't win them all!

For those of you that are surprised by my activities today, I know full well that April Fools Day is a holiday on which I should be thinking of ways to torture and humiliate others.  However, I torture and humiliate people almost every other day of my life, so instead, this day will probably forever be one of contemplation and reflection for me.  I can't help it.  What a year it's been! 

No comments:

Post a Comment