Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Beezelbub's Homie

As all of my Snapchat friends know, I am in the process of a giant home renovation.  One of the biggest components of my renovation is my antique pine banisters...  that some douche canoe faux painted so that they would look like wood!  I have been stripping and sanding those pitiful banisters nearly every day since I moved into my home about 4 months ago.  It is tedious and painstaking work, and most days I feel like I am barely closer to finishing than I was when I started.  Best of all, the rest of my life continues to need my attention.  Thus, laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, and watching my remaining brats, often punctuates the down time I have from my refinishing work.  However, if you think that my life sounds like drudgery, you would be wrong, because I live in Rhode Island.  True, sometimes my downtime is filled with tedious work, but it is also frequently filled with fantastic new adventures.  Why, this last week alone, I went to the Nordic Lodge with Jared and my friend Renee.  What is the Nordic Lodge?  Why it's an all you can eat seafood buffet, and because it's in Rhode Island, perhaps you can begin to imagine the wondrous delights I found there.  The outside alone is breathtaking.  Here's my lover in awe of the pond it overlooks:


There's hammocks, benches, picnic tables, and chairs of all kinds all the way around the building for people to sit on while they wait for their turn at gluttony.  I found this one after my meal and Jared has agreed to reproduce it for me:


I actually couldn't figure out why they needed so many places to sit until AFTER I ate.  I managed to eat 2 lobsters, about a ton of fried scallops, one raw oyster and one raw littleneck clam (because I am trying to be a legit New Englander) at least 1 kilo of jumbo cocktail shrimp, 3 King crab legs, 2 Diet Pepsis, some pineapple and watermelon, one bite of garlic bread, an ice cream sundae made from Hagen Daas ice cream, several pastries, a brownie, countless bites of Renee's and Jared's desserts, and 4 chocolate mousse cups.  I know.  Disgusting.  But it was 96 bucks a head and lobsters are only 4.99 a pound at Market Basket right now.  Therefore, you can see that I had a lot of eating to do to get my money's worth!  It was after I completed my appalling show of gluttony that I realized how important all the seating outside was.  I could barely breathe when we left.  For that matter, I could barely move!  When Renee asked if we could wait while she went to the bathroom, I gladly agreed so that Jared and I could fling ourselves in a hammock and let our bursting guts level out and relieve some of the unforgiving effects of gravity.  I still felt ill the next day and told Renee to never take me to the Nordic Lodge again....  until someone I know comes to visit... and then we need to go back immediately!  It was a fantastic adventure.  Way better than sanding my banisters!

What else did I do?  Well, I've been babysitting my parent's three legged cat Dexter.  How did Dexter get all the way to Rhode Island?  Well, he isn't really here, but my youngest demon likes to think she is Dexter.  Occasionally, she will go several weeks without pretending to be a cat, then will suddenly remember how much she likes to be Dexter, and then she does nothing but meow for every word she says.  Sadly, no one in the family but Bubba speaks cat, so she's forced to meow in frustrated tones while using hand signals to convey her desires.  It's magical really.  I managed to have Dexter in my car on the way to Boston yesterday.  Here he is:


Why was I going to Boston?  Well, because I live in such an awesome place, I have season tickets to the theater, and so Jared and I got to take Hannah to see Phantom of the Opera at the Boston Opera House.  Jared and I have seen it several times, but this was Hannah's first opportunity and she was excited!  For anyone that has never seen the Boston Opera House, you should try to get there!  It has a long and storied history and was even owned by old Joe Kennedy at one point.  It is absolutely gorgeous from every angle and Hannah managed to snap a lovely pic upon our entry:


It was a wonderful show, and for the second time this week, it was way more interesting than sanding my banisters and attending to my other menial tasks.  Isn't that picture lovely?  You know what's even more lovely?  The item you probably missed in the bottom half of that picture Hannah took.  That's the thing about Hannah.  She's savage and I believe she came straight from the bosom of Satan.  Hannah noticed immediately what was in the lower corner and cropped her picture accordingly.  Let me save you the effort of zooming and include her second rendition of her original pic:


I know.  It should absolutely become a viral meme.  Don't bother trying to come up with anything.  Hannah will think of some way to use that picture in a million different combinations, each more savage and rude than the last.  It's been a pleasure to get to know her dark gifts so intimately.  I lead a blessed life, especially when I'm not sanding my banisters... 














No comments:

Post a Comment