Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Glamping

I moved to the Ocean State just over 2 years ago.  Since I didn't have my family, and had only the belongings that fit into my Honda, there were lots of activities I missed out on.  Motorcycle cruising for one.  Yelling at my kids to "SHUT UP" on roadtrips for another.  And the biggest thing I missed two years worth of?  The Johanson Family Campouts!  I have blogged about these trips before of course.  The hole digging to China, my lover flopped on an inner tube for hours on end both on shore and on various bodies of water...  I absolutely love camping, and have almost convinced my kids (except for Hannah who hates everything I like) that it is the best thing ever to do with a week of your summer vacation.

I was a little nervous given that camping out here in the east is totally different than in Idaho.  For starters, I couldn't go to the dump and salvage all the wood I would need to burn down a small city for free.  I certainly didn't have any mountains around to camp in either...  Well, not what I classify as mountains anyway.  I wasn't going to have Bear Lake, Panguitch Lake, Warm River, or any of the other favorite sites that I enjoy watching my kids cover themselves in filth from.  In fact, Jared was so bummed about not having any real mountains around, that he wouldn't even get a campsite reserved despite my incessant nagging for months on end.  I finally had to do some research and reserve the site myself since I didn't want all the sites to fill up like they always do in Idaho.  Where did we go?  Well, the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  Did we have a good time?  You bet we did!

There were the multiple waterfall hikes we went on:






Tons of covered bridges:



Hidden lakes that I thought I would die hiking to:


And binoculars that Bubba used to spy on everyone and everything the entire trip:


Let's also not forget that Bubba went on a Canoe ride with Emma and Lily and then cried and screamed, "I'M GONNA DIE OUT HERE AND MOM AND DAD WILL NEVER KNOW!"  Even though Jared and I could see her from the shore.  Quality memories people.  

We had a blast, but there were several differences that I noted which made New England camping distinctly different than what I am used to.  I'll limit the list to just 10:
  1. We heard freeway traffic all night while sleeping in our tent - NOT a rushing river or crickets
  2. I still could not see the stars because of all the light pollution
  3. There were coin operated showers that were luxurious.  I didn't know what to do without stinky underpants
  4. There was a dryer at the camp for wet clothes and towels
  5. There was a sink with hot water on tap to wash your dishes with
  6. The more primitive Federal sites without the amenities were only 3 dollars less expensive per night
  7. All the campers wore normal, clean, clothes.  The women often put on makeup in the bathrooms and actually did up their hair   
  8. We were one of the few campers with a truck
  9. I didn't see anyone else with a dutch oven
  10. They had a lodge where you could buy all sorts of stuff you forgot including air mattresses, batteries, ice, and Dinty Moore stew
In some ways, it was like being on Mars.  But in others, it was really comfortable and delightful, and I'm glad none of my Idaho peeps saw me in my trashy camp clothes enjoying my luxury!  What's next for the Johanson's after another successful camping trip?  Well, Jared is more motivated to take the campsite reins back.  He thinks he might look in Maine or maybe the Berkshires for a more rustic and isolated spot.  I'm voting for another lake so we can take the canoe out again and have Bubba scream for her life for 20 minutes.  Maybe we can find more hidden waterfalls or lakes.  Whatever the next adventure, this trip has taught me I can be happy anywhere... as long as there's a clothes dryer on site...  

No comments:

Post a Comment