Wednesday, July 6, 2016

I'm Hot Too...

Shortly after I moved to Rhode Island, Jared took my hive of ladies over to a friend of mine, Amber, who lost her colony last year.  There was just no way I was going to try to transport those lovely creatures across the country, but it made me sad to give them up nonetheless.  When the transfer happened, she was nice enough to send me pics, but it made me cry.  I realized a few days ago that this move has been extra galling because I haven't been able to keep myself busy tending to my flowers, my garden, or my bees.

A couple of days ago, Amber sent this text:


I nearly wet myself because I knew exactly what was going on!  Those ladies are "bearding" my friends and it can mean they are hot!  I then began to list lots of strategies for giving them more room and/or helping them cool off and then reminded her it's also ok if she does nothing at all.  Before I got my first colony, I researched bees for two solid years so I would be prepared for when I finally brought some girls home.  I still hate being stung, but I love watching those gals and am constantly amazed at how great those little insects are. 

You know who else wishes they could "beard"...?  Me!  It's starting to be more warm and muggy in Providence and as such, I've been so sweaty, that by the time I go to the laundromat each week, my laundry basket and sheets smell so funky, I wonder if that's what a junior high jock strap smells like!  Today, I needed to wash my funk and was dreading going to the worst place on earth:  the laundromat.  When I arrived this afternoon I actually had the time of my life!  My deeply held detestation of laundromats was premature my friends!  The AC was heavenly, my Diet Dr Pepper was cold and luscious, and this employee cracked me up:


She's doing someone's laundry and bitching to everyone about how hot it is today and that she called into work to make sure the AC was working before she would leave her house. I cannot stress enough that her Rhode Island accent is what gives her ranting most of its flavor.  I sat on my bench, listened to Pandora playing underneath the crazy complaining, and had the most exquisitely comfortable and hilarious hour and a half of my life.

When I walked back into the heat, my poor soul cried a little and I wished I could run back into the laundromat and "beard" until closing time.  I sent some good mental vibes to Amber's bearding ladies who used to be mine, and made a silent vow not to hate the laundromat anymore.  However, I can't guarantee I'll remember that vow once the weather cools off again...




No comments:

Post a Comment