Friday, May 6, 2016

Visitors

This week I've received some visitors that have reminded me just how small this world is.  Several years ago, I worked with a midwife who trained me in my last semester of school before becoming my colleague.  She was a lawyer as well as a midwife and this lady was and still is a ball crusher!  She was hard on me but taught me so much that many of the things I know and like to do with my patients I learned from her.  She moved to Seattle a few years ago, but her stepdaughter is dying and lives in Massachusetts so Kathleen came to visit.  Of all the places on this earth to meet up with her again, I never thought it would be in Rhode Island!  Here we are getting lobster rolls together:


And here's me finally enjoying my first lobster roll!  Delicious:


We met up with one of her midwife friends and I listened to these two go on and on for a couple of hours.  I had a great time and hope I'm still kicking ass and taking names when I retire like Kathleen!

My week was also blessed by a visit from another friend, Alyssa!  Her grandpa is dying in Rhode Island so she came to visit him.  And no, I had nothing to do with either of these sad illnesses, I have better ways to get visitors!  

Given that I still had Alyssa's bear suit, I picked her up at the train station wearing it:


I got lots of stares, a few condescending comments, and one dude who video taped me.  Here I am with Alys who loved my idea:


She's staying a week but I ditched her today to become a visitor myself.  It's my 18th anniversary tomorrow and the stars aligned for me to come home for an extra visit.  Although the flight was long, my layover in Chicago gave me something to laugh about:


IT'S A TOILET THAT AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES THE SEAT COVER!!!  This sucker blew my mind so completely, that I peed three times in one hour just to see it work!  I felt like a hayseed seeing more than 10 people at once.   I was agog at the technology.  Thankfully I could lock the doors so no one could see me admiring the potty!

After some nice airline snacks and two cans of Coke Zero, I finally landed in Salt Lake!  I kissed my hubby with no tongue (that's for later) and did something I've been wanting to do for weeks:


I made a Bubba sandwich!  The other kids had school so they're waiting for me at home, but they'll get their sandwich later, including Hannah.

It's weird that I'm the one visiting!  It is lovely seeing mountains again, but I'm actually missing Rhode Island.  I feel like I belong there!  It just so happens I'm only here a couple of days and then will head back where I have Alyssa waiting in East Providence to visit a bit more before she heads home.  I just hope the neighbor downstairs doesn't decide to become a rapist and/or murderer and visit her before I get back...


No comments:

Post a Comment