Monday, March 21, 2016

Refinement

Upon meeting me for the first time, most folks are tempted to think I'm trashy.  In fact, most of my family members think I'm the trashiest of the bunch, possibly rivaled only by my sister Patty.  I certainly can't argue with many of the judgements against me, but let's be clear that I am not trailer trash.  Nor am I crack whore trash, redneck trash, or gangster trash.  I am white, but I'm not white trash either.  No, I'm... refined trash.

Like good wine, cheese, and leftover lasagna, I'm getting better with age - despite my trashy tendencies.  A few days ago Kayley noticed I have like 5 white hairs on my head.  Some of the people I respect the most in my family (my mommy included) have ended up with the most beautiful silver hair in their thirties.  I always hoped I'd get lucky enough to inherit the gene so that I would seem wise beyond my years.  I've been jealous of Jared because his goatee and sideburns have gotten mighty white the last few years.  FINALLY!  My five white hairs and I are joining an elite refinement club!  Can you see the object of my respect?!


In addition to my refined white hairs, it may come as a surprise that someone as trashy as me might also appreciate some culture once in a while.  In fact, Jared and I have had season tickets to Broadway shows in Salt Lake City since we got married nearly 18 years ago.  Every few months, we drive down to Utah with one of the girls, have a fancy meal, and listen to grown people sing instead of talk for 2 hours.

Lucky me, my move to Rhode Island will put me closer to Boston than I am to SLC right now.  Luckier still, I got to purchase season tickets today through the same company I always have, and soon, I'll be watching all the Broadway musicals I can handle in the Boston Opera House.  What will this season hold?  Why, Cabaret, King and I, and Finding Neverland for starters.  Awesome!


That's me being extremely refined after buying my tickets.  The devil horns give it away...




 

2 comments:

  1. You're a dork. A refined dork, perhaps. But; still a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devil horns are better than what we usually get from you...the birdie. Or the pooping bum drawing.

    ReplyDelete