Thursday, March 10, 2016

Watch Out!

After months of procrastination, this happened:


Kayley is now legal to drive alone.  For her maiden voyage, she wanted to drive all her sisters to the mall.  I tried to think of multiple excuses requiring a chaperone, but Jared reminded me she is 17 and I gotta let go sometime.

It isn't that I'm worried about Kayley so much as I'm worried about my van.  That sucker is beat to hell from 11 years of kid hauling, but I need it to last two more years until Hannah finally turns 18 and I kick her out - high school diploma or not.    After realizing my arguments were futile, I finally acquiesced to all the peer pressure and surrendered my van keys to fate.

While the five animals were out spending their remaining Christmas money, Jared and I went grocery shopping... Alone...  Totally alone...  It was quiet, organized, and glorious.  No one yelled at anyone else in the store.  I didn't have to beg Bub to stop hanging on the cart.  No one pleaded for bagels and chocolate (though I purchased both anyway).  Jared had to go to the bathroom, but I didn't have to argue with my older children to take him so he wouldn't get lost, and thus, didn't lose any time shopping.

Since I didn't have to wade through the normal shopping bullcrap, I had the fastest grocery trip of my life.  We even beat the girls home which was eerie and quiet since the van was missing and so were the girls.  Yep, I'm still nervous about my van, but I think I can get used to the ease this third driver might bestow upon me.  In fact, I'm kind of snacky.  I wonder if Kayley would make a Wendy's run...






No comments:

Post a Comment