Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What's For Dinner?

Today was grocery shopping day and as usual, I planned to go after work.  Before I could bring myself to shop, I decided to "commute" to the house I have an offer in on just for kicks.  I snapchatted Jared as I drove by it from a couple of different angles and decided for the 20th time that I sure love the old place.  I'm convinced the neighbors wonder what the heck is going on with me since I'm almost positive there aren't any other red Honda Accords with Idaho tags that have driven by the old gal 200 times, but I just don't care.  Hopefully when I move in they will find out how awesome I am and forgive my shameless stalking.  Sorry folks, still no pics.  I'm feeling nervous and excited about it and don't want to jinx the universe against me.  Plus, I don't want some wise guy getting any ideas about buying it out from underneath me...  Anyhoo....  By the time I got to the grocery store, it was after six and I was starving.  Unfortunately, I make really random decisions about what food I want to purchase when I'm hungry because everything looks good.  I did manage to purchase some regular food for the upcoming two weeks, but my meal tonight consisted of three courses:

1.  Cheese and fruit.
After consuming nearly two pounds of strawberries, I decided to dig into a cheese I've heard tall tales about but have never tried...


And here's me whiffing:


Does Limburger smell?  You bet it does.  When I got home I wondered what stunk so bad in my apartment.  Then I realized I had brought the smell in with me and it was the Limburger.  I have also noted the same butt crack aroma when opening my fridge since getting home.  Again, it's the Limburger.  Is the smell worth it?


That's an affirmative.  The thing I find amazing about queso is that most of the time the really foul nuggets don't taste anything like their smell.  I enjoyed Limburger just as much as nearly every other nasty cheese I've had the pleasure to meet.  Two thumbs up!

2.  Main course
I forced myself to not buy a lobster today.  Not because I am tired of them, but because I wanted to leave room in my guts for my three course meal.  I get pretty full eating a 2 pound lobster and reminded myself I live in New England -  plenty of lobsters lady - give it a rest today...  After turning my back on the delicious lobsters wandering around in the lobster tank I spied these instead:


Obviously they didn't look like that when I bought them, but tasty no?  Little white wine, little garlic and onion....  Delicious.  Two thumbs up for the bivalves. 

3.  Dessert
One of the things I enjoy about living alone, is that it's liberating buying the things that I never let my kids eat.  Case in point?


Yep.  Lucky Charms.  They are just as trashy as when I was young, but also yummy in a disgusting sort of way.  The only thing that would make them better?  Getting rid of those stupid oat cereal bits.  Why can't I just have a bowl of the marshmallows?  Don't try to tell me the oat pieces add anything of real nutritional value to the party.  For exactly 2 seconds I considered picking out all the marshmallows and ditching the oat bits as I often longed to do as a child.  However, my extreme laziness took over and I just couldn't bring myself to invest a second longer preparing my meal, so I consumed them as God intended.

Verdict?  Random dinners rule, but I gotta enjoy them while I can because I cannot have this type of meal once my kids come out here.  I'm the mom.  I have to be the example; the pillar of my family...  What am I doing now?  Digesting my meal with a nice cup of coffee. 


And by coffee I mean a tall glass of Diet Cherry Coke Zero.  I know.  I'm truly a five star chef and the epitome of class...








3 comments:

  1. You look half-baked in that soda picture. You really have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way, if I am hungry when I go shopping I buy more than what is on my list and the foods tend to be high in carbs and sugars, not good. Oh well, I figure we only live once, right?
    As for the house, we're rooting for you. With sarah on the job praying, maybe the other contenders will die suddenly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone dies, let's make it clear that Sarah takes full responsibility...

    ReplyDelete