Saturday, October 1, 2016

Frat House

Yesterday, I had to move into a new apartment because my lease was up on Joe's place and I haven't been able to purchase a house yet in Rhode Island.  I've been worried for weeks about where I was going to go, but one of the ladies I work with, Renee, let me move into her home until I could finalize my housing plans.  A few days ago, she warned me that her brother, his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's son, also needed an emergency place to crash, and so would be moving in along with me.  My first thought?  FRAT HOUSE!  Unfortunately, Renee is kind and also a grownup, so there were no beer kegs, coeds with their boobies busting out of wet t-shirts, or the smell of vomit on the air when I showed up last night.  I have considered that Renee is saving the frat house scene for later because she's worried about what I would think about her initially.  Either way, I am grateful to have somewhere to go, so I really don't care how it all plays out...  as long as I continue to have a place to sleep.

 It would have been nice if my only worry yesterday was moving but I also had to work.  This meant I would spend my day being busy in the office,  then I would have to go home and do my laundry, then finish cleaning my old apartment before I could vacate the premises;  I felt like I was back in college.  I moved so many times through my single college days and it never bugged me.  However, I'm an old married lady now and I like stability.  These last six months have been anything but stable and I'm sick of it!  I moved to the East exactly six months ago today with nothing but two suitcases, a small cooler for my snacks, and a few new appliances to put in the house that I would buy some day.  Literally everything I owned fit in my Honda accord.  Guess what?  Everything I own still fits in my Honda and it was easy getting it all over to Renee's.  Ease aside, I'm still sick of this nonsense and want a place to put down my roots again.  Even this Snapchat pic my friend Alyssa sent at the beginning of my crappy moving day didn't help my stress:


She's pretty funny - but not funny enough to make me stop feeling sorry for myself!

Last night, after getting everything crammed into my Honda, I decided I was hungry and against my better judgment, decided to try Chipotle for the first time.  All I ever hear is how great Chipotle is, but most of the folks telling me how great it is are white, and most white folks don't know anything about good Mexican food.  How was it?



Big.  The end.  Sorry people.  I've had too much excellent Mexican food both here in the US and in Mexico and Chipotle ain't good Mexican food.  I knew from the moment I walked in I'd be disappointed.  For starters, it was filled with these types of folks...



Stupid white Millenials.  It was also too sharp and clean.  No obnoxious Mariachi music playing...  No gaudy decor...  Worst of all?  No brown skinned folks to be seen.  You gotta pick ethnic restaurants filled with ethnic people.  If you don't see the race of people who belong to the food genre you're sampling, I can guarantee your meal is going to be watered down American slop.  Hate me if you wish, but I know I'm right.

After the Chipotle debacle, I finally made it to Renee's, unpacked in a flash because I don't own anything right now, and settled into my new digs.  Here's proof:


Renee's home is comfortable and it's nice to have my housing shortage solved for awhile.  However, I'm feeling really sad that I don't have Joe to spy on anymore.  Gail the landlady stopped by as I was finishing cleaning my apartment and I told her to tell Joe goodbye and that I would miss spying on him.  She laughed because I think she was thought I was kidding, but I know the real truth.

I'm grateful for generous friends.  I'm glad I never have to be traumatized by Chipotle again.  I'm also on high alert so that I don't miss any frat house activities Renee may be planning for me.  Don't let my positivity fool you though, because I'm so ready for this to be over.  I want my husband...   I want my kids...  I actually want the opposite of a frat house...  Yep.  I want my old lady life back...

2 comments:

  1. I am sad for yours and Joe's relationship!! :( What city is your friend Renee in? Im glad you have a place to stay. PS, I AM A STUPID WHITE MILLENNIAL!!! NOW FEED ME COOKIES

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't be more right about Chipotle. I wondered how they managed to make a burrito so meaningless and empty while being so calorically expensive. It's mind boggling and deeply troubling......sort of like your life this last 6 months. But, you'll persevere. I've seen you endure lots of hard situations...like getting over the loss of that hideous brown dress you wore every Sunday after church.

    ReplyDelete