Saturday, October 31, 2015

Typical Halloween

Halloween with my family is a blessed, crazy affair steeped in tradition and loads of candy.  The basic framework is always the same:  soup, cornbread, and cider at my mom's, followed with endless amounts of lunatic behavior.  

The day started horribly for me since today happened to be the day I went back into the gym after my summer hiatus.


This is exactly how I feel about being back in the boring gym.  Notice I have not combed my hair.  I feel the same about personal hygiene during workouts as I do during camping; it's pointless.  I'm going to shower and comb my hair after my workout so there's no sense in wasting time or water prior to strenuous exercise.  I'm sure there's plenty of folks who have been impacted by my behavior that would like to weigh in on this issue, but as usual, I just don't care.

I was worried my crummy exercise would put a damper on the rest of my day, but fortunately, Bubba gave me a wonderful surprise on the way to grandma's...


That's right.  She's disgusting.  I told her 10 times to knock it off, but the only reason she finally gave it up was when I threatened to take away her trick or treating privileges.

I shouldn't have worried too much about my day improving because once we arrived at the folks, I calmed right down and began to enjoy myself as usual.  My favorite Halloween traditions revolve around my dad, the freak, and his three tiered treat system:

  1 - full sized candy bars for all the kids he likes.
  2 - mini candy bars for kids he knows but doesn't like
  3 - cheap nasty candy like Smarties for everyone else.  

That old man is committed to his system.  No one else is allowed to answer the door or distribute his wealth.  Dad's neighborhood is really busy and he spends a small fortune and hours of meticulous planning to ensure proper candy coverage.  He's nuts.  This year, dad forgot his mini candy bars and didn't have a reasonable excuse.  I personally believe he was distracted by Dexter, since it's the first Halloween he's been with us.  Dad was so worried about that dumb cat escaping, that I don't think he could concentrate on anything else.  Here was his solution until the doorbell stopped ringing:


Dad literally stands by his front door almost constantly for about five hours.  He peeks through the glass at the top of the door so he knows what candy to hand out based on who's coming up the stairs.  It's lunacy and I love it.

Besides the yummy soup, I also get pretty excited about this important family tradition:


These stupid plastic arms show up every year and someone invariably spends time picking their nose with them, scratching their crotch with them, scratching someone else's bum with them, or eating dinner with them.  EVERY YEAR.  And yes, sometimes that someone is me.  I make a mental note every Halloween to wash them given the promiscuous activities they are involved in each year, but I always forget. I hope bum germs die when boxed up between holidays.

Another favorite tradition is the costume picture we used to take on the porch.  The babies keep coming so now we shoot it on the lawn.  I used to have more of my siblings living nearby so the pic used to be larger.  However, it's still pretty special watching everyone's kids growing through the years and knowing you can always count on your family to show you a good time as long as you stop by to hang out with them.


Happy Halloween everyone.  Hope your day was as great as mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment