Sunday, October 18, 2015

I Got This!

This is my baby, Bubba:


Her christian name is Elizabeth Margarete with the Margarete part being shared with the granny sitting next to her in the pic.  In the four plus years I have known this little girl, I think I have called her Elizabeth a total of five times.  The entire family calls her Bubba.  In fact, my nieces and nephews think Bubba Johanson is her actual name.  My brother Jameson has heard her real name so infrequently, he can't ever remember what it is.  (It's Elizabeth you Pasty Bastard).  You know how some parents use first and middle names sometimes when they are mad with a child?  If I'm mad with Bubba, I call her "BUB" instead.

I think it's hilarious this nickname has stuck, since I consider her to be the furthest thing from a Bubba you can possibly get.  When I hear "Bubba," I think of a big, fat, toothless redneck sipping Coors Light from the bottle on his idling motorcycle.  Sometimes, I think of Bubba from Forrest Gump, but either way, it's a far cry from my petite, blonde sweetie.

I have a goal that when Bubba graduates from high school, I want to yell, "way to go Bubba!" from the audience.  Better still, I'd love her future boyfriends and/or hubby to call her Bubba as well.  Since all my other daughters' nicknames have disappeared once school started, I've been wracking my brain for strategies to keep the name going.  Lily suggested I tell her kindergarten teacher her name was Bubba and then the teacher wouldn't know her real name.  I had to politely inform Lil that teachers have a class role for a reason.  Can you imagine how many little turds would make up incredible names or expletives for the teacher to call them if this safeguard wasn't in place?!  

I was really worried about the future of Bubba's moniker until she came home from church today.  She has a program coming up and her part was sent home so she could memorize it.  Check it out...


There it is in black and white!  Despite the church having a role too, her teachers are obviously calling her Bubba, and they are prepared for her to announce her own nickname over the pulpit as well!  Eureka!  It can be done!  It is possible for my daughter to remain Bubba in school!  Now, I just have to figure out why they were willing to ignore the church roles so I can recreate the same outcome at school.  Any one have time to help me start the "Bubba Inquisition?"  Similar to the Spanish Inquistion but without all the torture and death?  I'll consider all applicants...





No comments:

Post a Comment