Tuesday, December 8, 2015

I'm a Lunatic

Jared and I own a beauty of an old home built in 1925.  For the last 8 years, we have been slowly renovating it.  Most of my family think I'm a lunatic for the amount of work and mess I am willing to live with during my projects.  Several siblings have espoused the virtues of new construction homes, but I refuse to listen.  It gives me purpose as well as a sense of satisfaction with each home repair I complete.

The problem with old homes, is that no matter how small you think a project will be, it just ends up snowballing into a gigantic fiasco.  For example, I started renovating my upstairs bathroom about two years ago.  Not only is it still not finished, but my middle level bathroom is also out of commission since I decided to replace all the plumbing in the joint while I was in mess mode.  We're down to one shower and we all have to travel three flights to use it.  It's absolutely ridiculous, but it's my life, and I have to live with the consequences of my poor decisions.

Tonight, I decided there was a spot on my downstairs bathroom ceiling that I didn't like.  It was supposed to be a quick fix.  Just a patch, some mud work, and a quick paint job until I renovate it for real someday...


I got the patch up, (the big hole is the pipe chase - it's supposed to be there) but couldn't figure out why one of the corners was bugging me.  Before I knew it, this happened:


That's the back of my hallway closet, now totally exposed in the bathroom.  Some idiot screwed it up and I couldn't help ripping it down.  Here's how Jared and I felt about it:


To the untrained eye, he might look like he always does in pics.  With my expertise however, I could immediately tell he was exasperated with me.  I started to outline my grand plans to repair that crappy closet and he not so politely reminded me that if I wasn't careful, I was going to have a toilet and sink on one floor, a shower on a second floor, and the third floor without any facilities at all.  He finished by stating, "I like to be able shower, poop, and wash my hands when I'm home."

When I told him I was going to blog about his current predicament, he suggested I take pics of all three bathrooms to adequately represent his living conditions.  I yelled, "NO!  I DONT WANT ANYONE TO KNOW I'M A LUNATIC!"  He just looked at me condescendingly and as usual, helped me clean up the mess for the night.  

He's right you know.  I am most definitely a lunatic.  Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty sure everyone who is acquainted with me already knows the truth as well...




1 comment:

  1. I can see a difference in his face, his eyes are a bit blood shot.

    ReplyDelete