Monday, January 11, 2016

Farewell Mr. Bowie

Apparently David Bowie just died.  I guess I have to believe the experts, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that David Bowie no longer inhabits this planet.  I actually was watching some weird music video he did with Tilda Swinton the night before he died, because I heard he had a new album that came out on his 69th birthday.  Jared and I watched this odd piece of art and I commented about how well Bowie had aged.  About 4 hours later, while attending a birth at 1 AM, I received the sad news.  How did I receive the news?  Why from my very hip elder daughters of course!

I will pause here to review how awesome my daughters' taste in music is.  They have awesome taste, because Jared and I have awesome taste!  Although my girls dabble in a bit of fluff such as Bieber, One Direction, and no small amount of Taylor Swift, they also have a great appreciation for the greats.  Who are the greats?  Well, the Doobie Brothers, the Who, Bad Company, Etta James, REO Speedwagon, etc. etc. etc.... and yes, David Bowie!  We all love that freak!  Hannah especially is obsessed with his Jareth character from The Labyrinth.  If you haven't seen that Jim Henson classic, then baby you are missing out!  How about his love song "Let's Dance?"  "Put on your red shoes and dance the blues," Bowie croons.  I can see his long, skinny, creepy legs swaying to the beat and his nasty penis bulge pounding the air every time that song comes on.  It's true that much of his art is weird and strange, but the dude had pipes and I will miss him.

At one AM when the news came down, I was trying to coach a woman through transition.  She was screaming lots of swears and I had to put my phone on silence because of the hail of text messages I was getting.  The girls were so upset about Bowie!  I told them to calm down; that everyone dies except for me.  This did not go over well.  In fact, this is what transpired:


I love my girls.  And yes, I love you David Bowie.  Rest in peace you long, skinny freak.  We shall meet again one day...



1 comment:

  1. You Johanson girls should have been asked to give the eulogy at the funeral. I heard the news at the break room table, around which 10 of us were gathered. None of us could even name a single David Bowie song....

    ReplyDelete